Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Blog Post #1: My Top Five Sources of News and Information

Having access to news from different sources is important to me in order to be knowledgeable and versatile. Different sources express various opinions and viewpoints. By using multiple sources of information I am able to gain a better understanding of certain people's views and develop knowledge about what is happening in the world. As I get older I definitely have certain news sources that I use on a daily basis to get information which include, Snapchat, Apple News, TikTok, Youtube, and The Denver Post. I notice that I gravitate towards news sources that I can get information about quickly because as a college student I do not have time to sit down and watch the news or read the newspaper.


SNAPCHAT. I use snapchat as a way to get my news because it is an app that I use everyday.
It is a fast way for me to see what is happening in the world. Snapchat automatically shares
breaking news stories. I mostly get news about pop culture and celebrities on snapchat
because snapchat was created for the younger generation which is more interested in pop
culture. Each story that is posted is a short snippet which makes it a quick and easy
way to stay up to date with the news. Everyday I tend to look through the featured page to
look for stories that are of interest to me.
https://www.engadget.com/2018-10-16-snapchat-popular-source-news-college-students.html


APPLE NEWS. Another news source that I use on a daily basis is apple news because I get the notifications from them every day. Apple news does a great job of keeping their posts up to date. Each weekday morning I get a notification about something important that is happening in the world today. Each story is usually short and can be read in a short amount of time which makes my life easier so I can be educated in a timely manner. If I have more time in my day, I am also subscribed to their daily email newsletter which often is longer and is sent out in the morning to start your day with important reports and information. I particularly like apple news because they do not have a basis in what is mentioned on their app.
https://appleinsider.com/inside/apple-news


TIKTOK. Another app that I use everyday is TikTok and I involuntarily receive my news from TikTok because I go on TikTok almost everyday. I do not particularly go to watch TikTok to receive the news but when I am scrolling through my for you page I often get videos that have a correlation to popular news stories or certain things that are happening in the world. If I watch a TikTok that is of interest to me connecting to a news story then I will go and do more research to educate myself on the topic. I also follow a few news source accounts on TikTok including @abcnews and @cnnnews to stay up to date with their viewpoints about certain topics.



YOUTUBE I watch YouTube videos to receive my news because it is a way for me to understand news stories in an easier way. I am not a big reader so I like watching my news rather than reading it. I often watch YouTube which is something that is easy to watch in the background when I am completing tasks like doing laundry and cleaning. The one downside of receiving my news from YouTube is that it is usually not as timely as other news sources because most videos are created after the actual story comes out. YouTube does have live news stories but I usually don’t have time to watch it when it is live. When I am getting news from YouTube I always make sure the person or account posting it is credible and knows what they are talking about.



THE DENVER POST. I am from Denver Colorado so living far from home I like to know what is happening in my hometown so I follow The Denver Post. I usually just open their website to keep me up to date with things that are happening in Denver, Colorado. I can educate myself about the newest stories and action in Denver. Another big reason I read The Denver Post is to stay informed about our sports teams, Broncos, Nuggets, Avalanches, and more. I love watching sports and when I don’t have the time to watch the games on TV I read about them on The Denver Post website. They have a section dedicated to sports on the website so it is easy for me to find which teams I want to read about and stay updated. There are not many people here at High Point from Denver so even though no one around here is talking about Denver news I can get all my information from The Denver Post.
https://www.denverpost.com/sports/






















No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post: My Relationship to Technology: Positive and Negative Effects

Over the past semester in our Media Law and Literacy class, we discussed privacy and technological advancements and their influence on our ...